Tuesday, 30 July 2013

A Mildreds feast




Unassumingly named, Mildreds is a cool, laid back vegetarian restaurant in the heart of Soho, that really lets the food do the talking. Always buzzing, yet strictly no bookings - it is popular amongst both veggies and omnivores alike.

I've been vegetarian since I was eight years old and up until a few years ago really struggled to find restaurants that understood that a meat substitute didn't simply equal bland pasta or a plate of chips - even in a forward thinking capital like London.  I think vegetarians are more open to trying out new combinations of flavours and foods which, judging by the menu, is something Mildreds takes full advantage of. From hefty burgers to burritos to curries and pies- it's a traditional menu made innovative by the ingredients - all served up as reasonably priced, meatless fare.

I was very excited at the prospect of Ollie treating me to a meal here as celebration for both our new jobs. He on the other hand, as contented omnivore, wasn't so sure and had planned the route home via an array of fast-food chains, just in case. I am happy to report this was not necessary.





To start we had Gyoza dumplings and quesadillas, I then had the Sri Lankan curry and Ollie the risotto cake with shared sweet potato fries (literally the best in the world) and a peanut butter chocolate brownie for dessert. Wow. My date, combined with the recent good news for us both obviously made this an amazing night regardless, but the food, atmosphere and friendly service were spot on too.

I really recommend this lovely little restaurant to everyone who wants a good meal in an unpretentious setting. 

Please share any other great places with interesting vegetarian options in London with me!



4 comments:

  1. Hi, I'm your new follower!

    Super cute blog!

    www.victoria-emma.blogspot.co.uk

    Vickyy

    XO

    ReplyDelete
  2. What an unfortunate name for an adorable little restaurant, haha!

    xo Ashley
    thetiniestfirecracker.com

    ReplyDelete